Transformation Course: Lesson 18
Transforming Our Relationship With Money
Page Two of Two
I once read an article about people who leave money around for other people to find. It sounded like fun, so I started doing it years ago. I live on Social Security, so needless to say I'm not dropping any hundred dollar bills. But, usually at the grocery store, I will leave a dollar on the shelves here and there, and quarters on the lower shelves for the kids. ~~ Lynn Tarheel
The most common misconception people have about money is the belief that if they had more money they would be more happy. Yet this is often not the case. In the poorest villages you can sometimes find the most happy people, while some of the richest people on the planet are the least satisfied and most tormented. It is not how much money we have that determines our happiness in life, but rather how satisfied we are with what we've got.
The pervasive message around us is that the next new thing will make us feel better. "If I only had X, I would be happy." Yet this belief almost necessarily leads to dissatisfaction. Even if we get what we want, after the initial joy wears off, we find ourselves wanting what's next. Our craving for more never ends. Yet when you die and look back at all that you had, what do you think will matter?
So much of what really makes us happy has nothing to do with what we buy. What leads to deeper joy for most people is loving and being loved, feeling connected to others, enjoying beauty in its many forms, and our ability to do something we feel is important, so that our life is meaningful. Yet do you realize that none of these things cost money? Love, friendship, caring – these most precious things in our life are free, requiring only the time and energy we give to create them.
And now for the important question. How are you using your money? Are you as deeply committed to transformation in the financial arena as in other areas of your life? If the answer is no, consider what that means and what impact it might have both personally and globally. If the answer is yes, you may very much enjoy the below two-page essay describing microcredit, one of the most powerful movements to transform the face of poverty on our planet. Yet this inspiring means of investing requires very little for you to play an important role.
https://www.WantToKnow.info/051023microcredit - Help to End Poverty
Now is the time to consider how you can move into a more spiritual relationship with money and your finances. We invite all of us to consider where we are acting out of our fear of scarcity, and to commit to opening to the deeper spiritual abundance that is already there deep within us. This is some of the most powerful work we can do to create transformation in our lives and world.
At the end of this course, we will be offering you an opportunity to use new paradigm thinking around finances. We will ask you to consider the value of this course and all that you have gained from it.
We offer the course free of charge in accordance with our deep desire to transform ourselves and our world through new paradigm thinking, yet we do need financial support in order to make all of this happen and to help our community grow. Are you willing to transform your relationship to money and contribute so that our community can thrive and promote ever more transformation?
Though money is an important matter for most of us, we don't have to be all that serious about it. To bring in a little humor, we have one last, fun piece on the value of money. Enjoy!
https://www.WantToKnow.info/051230what... - What Really Matters in Life?
The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart.
Image by Lauren Zimmerman
Take Action: Suggested Activities for Transformation
- Think about times in the past when you have placed money as a higher priority than other things in your life. Did this serve you in the long run? How important is money to you right now? How important would you like it to be in your life? Seriously consider how you can transform your relationship with money and place love and connection clearly as a top priority.
- When have you chosen short-term gains that led to long-term losses. When you buy the cheapest goods, are you supporting child labor? Are you investing in stocks which largely benefit the rich while exploiting the poor? What are you supporting with your money? Make a commitment to yourself not to just look for the bargains, but rather to consider the long-term costs, the quality of goods, and how they are made when you buy them.
- Notice places in your life where you feel a lack of abundance of any kind. Explore the causes of this. Ask for spiritual guidance as you set intentions to transform your life in any places where you feel lack, and to open to the abundance that is already there within you.
- What were the beliefs of your parents and in the culture in which you were raised around money and abundance? How have they affected you? Notice how many cultures avoid talking about how much money we make. Where are you keeping secrets about money? Consider how you might move towards openness and greater transparency.
- When have you told yourself, "When I get enough money, I will..."? Notice how this is keeping you focused on the future. What can you do right now to work towards letting go of any preoccupation around money, enjoying more what you already have, and creating deeper, more meaningful connections in your life?
- Consider using the law of attraction around your finances. When you open to sharing your money more freely, it is very likely that this energetic outpouring will invite more abundance to pour into your life. Explore and take action on the many ways you can transform your story around money. How can you best use your money to help transform our world?
For Those Who Want More
http://www.greenamerica.org... - Guide to Socially Responsible Investing
Green America's Guide to Socially Responsible Investing makes socially responsible saving and investing easy. With lots of tips and resources – including a national directory of socially responsible investing services and professionals – this is an invaluable financial resource. The entire Green America website is filled with great ideas on how to work together to transform our world.
http://www.ethicalmarkets.com - Ethical Markets website
Ethical Markets provides news and perspective on socially responsible investing and global corporate citizenship through reports, articles, newsletters and videos gathered from around the world. Their mission is to foster the evolution of capitalism beyond current models based on materialism, maximizing self-interest and profit. This message is delivered to the global market by featuring stories of success in ethical business practices.
http://www.lynnetwist.com - Soul of Money Institute/Lynne Twist
This empowering website by fabulous fund raiser Lynne Twist inspires readers to transform their relationship with money. It provides a refreshing new look at money and what it can be in our lives and world. Lynne's inspiring book The Soul of Money also gives a refreshing view of how money can be a transformative force in our lives both personally and globally.
http://www.pachamama.org/engage/awake... - Awakening the Dreamer website
Founded by powerhouse activists Lynne Twist and her husband Bill, Awakening the Dreamer is a nonprofit, volunteer-based movement spreading around the globe to educate people on how money and greed have endangered our world, and what we can do to change our collective dream by the right use of our money and resources. Based in empowering indigenous philosophies, this transformative movement is part of the Pachamama Alliance.
https://www.weboflove.org/070416... - Transforming the Face of Business
A highly inspiring article on how some of the newly successful entrepreneurs who have become unimaginably wealthy have decided to use significant parts of their wealth to create empowering social change and transformation in our world.
http://www.monetary.org - The American Monetary Institute
An excellent website focused on the independent study of monetary history and theory for the purpose of reforming our monetary system in accordance with our values. Filled with excellent research, this website is making a big difference in bringing the need for monetary reform into public awareness.
In Lesson 19, we will shift our focus from money to sexuality. These are two potent areas in which we can transform our lives on both personal and global levels. Thanks for spending the time with us, and have a most beautiful day filled with love, joy, and meaning. Our sacred love flows with you always!
For Registered Participants, Click Here to Comment on This Lesson
For Self-Directed Participants, Click Here for Lesson 19
"Dedicated to the greatest good of all who share our beautiful world"